This is an idea that has existed for years: consumers should control and sell their data explicitly to get compensation. He is involved in many data collection systems today (for example, "give us your email for 10 percent off"); However, Killi is the first to set up a blockchain-based infrastructure to do this as an explicit solution for the market as a whole.
Others will follow soon. For example, another company called Occi is working on a loyalty solution similar to the blockchain for retailers.
Killi is the invention of Neil Sweeney, who founded a company called Freckle IoT. Originally a tag company, Freckle has evolved into an online offline attribution provider that works with leading brands. Killi is a consumer application available for iOS and Android.
One way to look at Killi is like a next-generation data broker putting consumers at the center of data collection. Once the application is downloaded, users are prompted to activate the persistent location. The installation process itself is a kind of consumer education about data collection.
In the near future, users will also be able to respond to trademark investigations to obtain compensation. Surveys can be targeted by country, region, gender and age.
In the interest of total transparency, Killi users will be able to see which brands have purchased their data and for how much. At present, prices are based on "market rates". In the future, says Sweeney, he will become more dynamic.
Consumers are compensated via PayPal or Amazon after reaching a threshold of $ 5. Killi earns money by taking "a small transaction fee to draft contracts, pay for blockchain transactions and hire the team." These transaction fees represent 15% of what the brand pays for consumer data. The user receives the remaining 85%.
Sweeney explains, "It's not about making $ 3 on your identity, it's about regaining control." He adds, "Consumers do not understand the ecosystem of data ", which is largely true. As mentioned, the flow of Killi's writing and the aggressive messaging go a bit to explain it all:
Your personal data is viewed and sold thousands of times a day, making billions of dollars for giant corporations and zero for you.
That means YOU are their product. It's time to regain control of your identity and redistribute its value to its rightful owner – you.
Users are free to delete their data at any time.
One of the obvious challenges here is to build a "two-sided market". And this will also be true for any business that is trying something similar (eg, Occi). Sweeney has said, however, that his existing company Freckle has already grown some of this market. The company has worked with many retailers and CPG companies that he said wanted a seamless, privacy-friendly solution like this one.
Indeed, one of Killi's goals is to eliminate any ambiguity surrounding consent. The company says that it completely eliminates third-party data from the equation and provides a first-party user base that is 100% verifiable, validated, and GDPR-compliant. "
While users may be asked to confirm data or conduct surveys, most of the data collection takes place in the background, so the consumer's role is largely passive once 39, registration completed. In addition to blockchain, the main difference between Killi and seemingly similar inquiry or purchase applications is that Killi users understand that they are exchanging their location information and data for brands – and they can see it clearly.
The data collected by Killi can then be exported by the mark to any DSP or DMP of its choice:
Data collected via Killi is not only generated by users, but verified through the standard Google and iOS process: location verification, mobile identification, verification of mobile phone numbers and email addresses, verification of Facebook accounts. Once consumer data is purchased by a brand or agency, these marketers can export it at no cost to their internal internal data management systems.
This is a fascinating convergence of two things that are happening on the market: the emergence of the blockchain as a solution to various market problems and the growth of privacy concerns users and related regulations.
Killi will have a consumer marketing challenge, of course. Like any application, it will have to be adopted on a large scale for the system to work. However, Sweeney says that in addition to traditional application marketing techniques, he believes that the message "regain control" and the application's mission will resonate with consumers in and of itself.