If someone said that there is a device that is always on and that is still connected with the battery for days, guess that it's a smartphone would not be a bad one reply. However, these are the features of the new ASUS NovaGo and HP ENVY x2 notebooks with integrated LTE connectivity.
The ever-connected PC announcement ushers in the next evolution of the computer, which blurs even more the border between smartphones and computers. The computers of Asus (TPE: 2357) and HP (NYSE: HPQ) are part of a collaboration that includes Qualcomm and its Snapdragon processor and Microsoft.
This type of connectivity and availability will give small businesses more flexibility to do their office wherever they want. Having a PC running Windows 10 with a new optimized version of Office 365 means new levels of productivity when working remotely.
This is the future of computing, and Terry Myerson, executive vice president of the Windows and Devices group, has done the same in the announcement of the two computers by Microsoft. He said: "When I think of organizations and if they are going to take advantage of the huge networks of mobile operators and adopt these new PCs, the answer is simple: it is not a question of whether, but of when and how fast. Mobile PCs become PCs always connected. "
- 3 Inch LED Display with Full HD 1920 × 1080 Pixels LTPS Touchscreen with ASUS Pen Mount (1024 Pressure)
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 835
- 4 GB or 8 GB of RAM and 64 GB or 256 GB of storage
- Windows 10 S (upgrade to Windows 10 Pro before September 30, 2018)
- Gigabit LTE, modem X16 (4 × 4 MIMO), 802.11ac (2 × 2 MIMO)
- Up to a battery life of 22 hours with more than 30 days of modern day watch
- Weighs 1.39 kg (or 3.06 pounds)
HP Envy x2
- 3-inch WUXGA + touch screen (1920 X 1280) with Gorilla glass with simultaneous stylus and touch support
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Laptop PC Platform
- Up to 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB of storage
- Up to 20 hours (up to 700 hours in modern standby mode)
- Windows 10 S and option to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro
- 4G LTE
- Weighs only 1.54 pounds
What is the meaning of a PC always connected?
Just like your smartphone, these PCs turn on instantly when you need to use them. And just like your phone, they are always connected with a battery that will not worry where your charger is.
In addition to the convenience, the Envy x2 and NovaGo are powerful computers capable of using all Office 365 applications on a Windows 10 operating system. Collaborations will now be transparent and will Small businesses will be able to connect with all their employees, like on a smartphone, according to Microsoft.
And just like a smartphone, screens let you touch, draw, annotate, and more to give more functionality to your workflow.
In terms of security, the always-connected PC bypasses unsecured networks using 4G LTE, which is much safer than public WiFi.
Prices and availabilities
The HP ENVY x2 will be available in the spring of 2018, but the price will be announced in the near future of product availability. With regard to Asus, the company has not announced availability in its press release, however, Engadget reported that it will cost $ 599 ($ 799 for 8GB of RAM and 256 GB storage), but did not give any release date.
Both computers will be sold in collaboration with wireless service providers.
Images: ASUS, HP